Vegan Quinoa & Sweet Potato Chili
This vegan chili is loaded with flavor and vitamins, and everyone in the family will ask for a second bowl. It’s easy to prepare, takes just over a half hour to get on the table, and the best part?!?! There’s only one pot to clean!!
When I was a kid, we lived a couple places in Ohio. The only memorable (for their food) place was Cincinnati because of a chain of restaurants called Skyline Chili. Their specialty was a spaghetti meat sauce-style chili with a twist - cinnamon and chocolate. You didn’t eat this like any other chili, either - it came with a heaping of spaghetti and your choice of cheese, raw onions, sour cream, kidney beans, oyster crackers. Trust me, this is a chili experience like one you’ve never had before.
I’ve veganized a recipe found here and added a couple more veggies to boost the healthiness a little :}
- 2.5-3c TVP, Quorn, or other ground beef-style crumbles
- 1c chopped onions, diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- a handful of mushrooms, chopped
- 8oz (1 can) tomato sauce
- 1c red kidney beans (cooked, drained, rinsed)
- 1.5tbsp chili powder
- 1tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2c vegan beef-style broth
- 1tsp Worcestershire sauce (careful! not all are vegan!) or Bragg’s
- 1.25tbsp cocoa
- 1tsp garlic powder
- 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2tsp ground cumin
- 1/4tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/4tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8tsp ground allspice
- 1/8tsp ground cloves
- 1 bay leaf (don’t forget to fish this guy out before you eat!)
- 1 package of spaghetti, cooked
- Cheese - cheddar or cheddar-style vegan cheese
- raw chopped onion
- sour cream
- oyster crackers
- Saute onion with a little olive oil until soft.
- Add green pepper, mushrooms, and kidney beans, stir until warm.
- Add all ingredients except the TVP/Quorn/meat substitute and simmer for 30mins.
- Add TVP/Quorn/meat substitute, cook until warm all the way through.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve over a heaping pile of spaghetti with your choice of toppings.