How to make a frappe
(Found this on tumblr without the source. If you know who this belongs to, kindly let me know so I can give them credit!
Thai Iced Tea and Thai Iced Tea Smoothie
I am a huge fan of Thai iced tea and Thai iced coffee and always order one or the other when I am at my favorite Thai or Laotian restaurant. Recently I found out that it’s incredibly easy to make (and healthier!).
I ordered Thai-style tea from amazon (note: this does have the orangish dye in the tea, and I’m not sure if it’s vegan).
Brewing the tea
For both recipes, you will need a batch of brewed (and subsequently chilled) tea. If you bought the loose tea, you will want to steep it in either a muslin tea bag, a paper tea filter, or through a coffee filter. I wouldn’t recommend using a tea infuser, because this type of tea seems to have a lot of sediment.
- boiling water
- 2.5tbsps thai tea *per* cup of water
- 2tbsp sugar *per* cup of water (or the equivalent using honey or other sweetener)
- Steep tea for 3-5 minutes, depending on how strong you like your tea.
- Stir in the sugar until dissolved.
- Refrigerate until cool.
Thai Iced Tea
I like my Thai iced tea really creamy, so I tend to make mine about 50/50 tea and milk. Adjust the ratio to your preferences.
- chilled Thai tea
- almond or other milk or your choice (preferably unsweetened, because the tea is already sweetened)
- Place ice in glass, pour tea over it.
- Most Thai restaurants serve theirs with two distinct layers of tea and milk. If you want yours to do that as well, take a spoon and slip it over. The tip of the end of the spoon should touch the inside of the glass. Pour your milk onto the spoon slowly and it should layer on top of the tea.
- Serve immediately.
Thai Iced Tea Smoothie
- 1/2 glass chilled thai tea
- 1/4 glass almond or other milk or your choice (preferably unsweetened, because the tea is already sweetened)
- 1 banana (put in the freezer for ~30minutes) per smoothie
- Combine tea, milk, and banana in the blender.
- Once it is smooth, add the ice and pulse until it’s crushed.
- Serve immediately.