Molasses Corn Bread
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 cups non-dairy milk (I used coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup unsulfered molasses
- 1 large egg (I used egg replacer)
- 1 1/4 sticks (10 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened (I used Earth Balance)
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Into a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda and whisk in cornmeal and sugar until combined well. In a bowl whisk together milk, molasses, and egg replacer until just combined. Add butter to flour mixture and with an electric mixer beat until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Beat in milk mixture until just combined.
- Pour batter into cupcake pan (if you aren’t using silicon, use cupcake liners) in middle of oven 25 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Cool corn bread for 5 minutes and turn out onto rack to cool completely. Corn bread may be made 2 days ahead and kept, wrapped in plastic wrap, in a cool, dry place.
Based on this recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Molasses-Corn-Bread-14203#ixzz2MPTObGYw
Vegan Cornbread (from Post Punk Kitchen)
I made these last night with vegan bulgur chili. Super tasty and not too sweet - just the way I like it :} Next time I think I’ll bake them in a muffin tin instead of a cake pan.
- 2c cornmeal
- 1c unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1/3c canola oil
- 2tbsp maple syrup
- 2c soymilk
- 2tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2tsp salt
- Preheat over to 350. Line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper or spray the bottom lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, wish together the soymilk and vinegar and set aside.
- In a large bow sift together the dry ingredients.
- Add the oil and maple syrup to the soymilk mixture. Wish with a wire wisk or a fork until it is foamy and bubbly, about 2 minutes.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together using a large wooden spoon or firm spatula.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan and bake 30-35min, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.