I tripled this recipe and made a huge stock pot full of it. My freezer is now happily full of single-serving sized containers of hearty chili.
We ate this with vegan cornbread.
Vegan Bulgur Chili (based on the recipe from Naturally Ella, changed to make it lazier)
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 1/2c chopped baby bella mushrooms
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1tbsp diced jalapeno (or more, if you like your chili spicy)
- 1tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 can kidney beans, drained
- 1 can great northern beans, drained
- 1/2c bulgur
- 1/2tsp cumin
- 1/2tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2tsp chili powder
- paprika (to taste)
- 4c vegetable stock (I used Rapunzel’s sea salt & herb boullion instead)
- In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, peppers, and jalapeno and saute until they soften.
- Stir in spices and tomatoes. Continue to cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients (and only 3c of broth to begin with) and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and stir occasionally.
- If the chili begins to thicken too much, continue to add stock until it reaches a chili-like consistency (the bulgur will soak up a good majority of the liquid.).
- Let simmer for 45mins until the bulgur has softened.